Friday, 1 January 2010

INTRODUCTION: Trech Gwlad Nag Arglwydd - In the beginning!

, .
So what's this blog about? well being of the age when I do not need a lot of sleep, I find myself listening to the BBC World Service on which there is an huge amount of reporting on the social injustices and economic evils going on in the world. This is making me much more concerned about what is going on amongst the 'Wretched of the Earth', I have always had a social conscience but to be honest my 45 years in Welsh politics has mostly been concerned with Welsh Nationalist Issues, then of a radical political theme rather than of the Cultural kind, the Investiture of 1969 made of me a committed anti - monarchist. However, In the ''Sixties'' (yes I am that old) my concerns in main were about such as Tryweryn and Clywedog and the exploitation of Welsh Water, in recent times I have become concerned about the exploitation of Welsh Land by foreign power companies in the 'Windmilling of Wales'' in interests more to do with their profits than saving the environment. This has taken me beyond the matter of windmills but to be more concerned with the wider issue of who actually owns Wales, certainly Welsh farmers are in possession of much land but how much is still owned by Anglo - Norman Lords? Then of course there is issue of how much of our land is owned by English Cities, the British Army and Forestry Commission all with an history of dispossessing our people of their land.
.
Thus, last year I raised up the Red Pitchfork banner universal to all people involved in struggles for Land and Liberty as a means of awakening people to such matters, not least the threat of Cheque Book Conquest and various forms of Neo - Colonialism by stealth through tourism and rural property developments etc. At moment I am in the main researching such land issue matters in our history from time of medieval colonisation to 16th Century and later land enclosures that brought about the first popular protests of Welsh peasants and small holders, as in the Forest of Snowdon affair. Before that the medieval revolts of 1294, 1315-16 and 1345 very much had the makings of popular rebellions, not least the Owain Glyndwr War of National Liberation was very much a popular peasant anti - colonial movement. But the moment in time we can clearly see the beginnings of peoples popular protest, is in the struggle of the commoners of commote Caio who in resisting enclosures cried out 'Trech Gwlad Nag Arglwydd', a call that has echoed down the ages. For further information on popular struggles as example of Rhyfel y Sais Bach 1826 do read BEFORE REBECCA by D.V.Jones.
.
.
However, to return to where I began this post, my concerns and campaigning will not just be regards Wales but will be of more wider and broader concern regards international issues of injustice, oppression and exploitation of peoples, their communities and land and natural resources therein. I have been further motivated to put up this blog by the amount of material that comes my way concerning various campaigns and it seems to me this is the best way I can support such causes by sharing the material information with a wider public. I will of course appreciate your interest in this blog and, maybe occasionally some active support. Yes info, news and even articles will be welcome.
.
G.Gruffydd.
.








































.